Dear Parents,Studies have shown that students can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “KEEP ON LEARNING” this summer to prevent summer slide. There are two ways to record your learning time:
- Reading: Log into this form to record the number of minutes you read. You can record each day or enter the total for each week.
- MOBYMAX Math and Reading: We recommend that each child consistently use MobyMax each week in the core areas of reading and mathematics. If interested, you can also choose to work on other learning modules. Spending just a few minutes each day on Mobymax will help to reduce “summer slide” and keep your child’s learning skills fresh over the summer.
Our goals for students over the summer are below. Students who reach or exceed goals will be entered in a drawing for an Amazon Gift Card (1 per grade). This is for their grade next year.
If you’d like to be part of Georgetown’s challenge to “Keep On Learning” please follow the instructions below. If your child is new to the school and you would like login information, email Mrs. Reagan. email@example.com
Have a great summer…and keep on learning with READING and MOBYMAX!
- Go to www.mobymax.com/ mi1457 and enter your child’s username and password to access his or her account. Username: _________ Password: ___________
- Explore placement tests, lessons and much more! Mobymax will automatically increase skill level based on your student’s performance.
This would be a wonderful way for the students to stay up on skills over the summer. Below are the instructions to access Moby Max.
Mobymax is an online learning tool that Georgetown utilizes to support math facts, math skills, reading, and much more. Mobymax can be used on a laptop, desktop, tablet/iPad or smartphone.
LOGIN Instructions for LAPTOP or home computer:
Open a browser (safari, firefox or google chrome. Type one of the following into the browser address bar:
- Go to www.mobymax.com/mi1457
- Go to mobymax.com and enter mi1457 in for the school code.
- Go to mobymax.com and select Georgetown Elementary — scroll to Hudsonville, MI.
- Go to the blog and click on the MOBYMAX whale.
LOGIN INSTRUCTIONS for tablets/smartphones:
- Open safari
- Type www.MobyMax.com/signin in the URL address bar.
- Select student. Type mi1457 into the school code box.
- Click the “Action Icon.” This is the box with the arrow icon pointing up at the bottom of the window.
- Click “Add to Home Screen.” This is a grey square icon with plus sign.
- Enter the name “MobyMax” and click “Add.”
- A MobyMax icon will now appear on your home screen.
Once you are onto the MOBYMAX site, there are three view options that pop up.
- Star: Incentives, goals that MOBYMAX is offering.
- Books: Learning Area (Number Sense, Fact Fluency, Reading Trio, etc.)
- Arrow: Progress icon (purple), Messages from the teacher, Vibes – good messages from the teacher, etc.
FACT FLUENCY: First time on, each child takes a placement test. Addition is the first fact to be tested and mastered, followed by subtraction, followed by multiplication and then division. Each child should spend 5 minutes a day on MATH FACT practice.
- Each fact appears for six seconds.
- If the right answer is entered, a new problem appears.
- If the wrong answer is entered, time is allowed for a correction.
- The five-minute fact test is broken into 5 one minute sprints.
- At the end of each sprint, a progress update is provided.
- Overall progress can be checked via the PROGRESS ICON.
Green = mastered. Yellow = Tricky Fact.
Reading Lessons: MOBYMAX also has reading modules that work together to reinforce reading skills. Your child’s teacher will tell you which area should be the focus for your child.
Content Lessons: MOBYMAX also has other learning modules for your child to keep active as a learner over the summer.
If you are looking for something to do over spring break, I have an idea for at least 120 minutes of your time off: Learning! All students whospends 120 MINUTES or MORE engaged in reading or online learning
(120 total minutes over all the days of break), will be entered into a drawing for a $25 AMAZON GIFT CARD.
Reading Options: Listen to an audio book or a REAL PERSON READ or JUST READ on your own.
Did you know that listening to a story stimulates children’s imaginations and emotions, exposes children to rich language patterns, new vocabulary words and a variety of texts? If you need ideas for great family friendly audio books, check the GEEKMOM / GEEKDAD Blog. This is a great idea if your child struggles to stay focused reading or if you are in the car traveling.
If you read or listen to a book, enter your total minutes here.
Monday is a day off for students. If you are looking for something to do, go to one of our online learning sites and earn minutes to enter a drawing for gift cards.
All students (Pk-5) who spend 30 minutes online learning will be entered into a drawing for a $10 BOOK FAIR GIFT CARD. One winner for each grade will receive a gift card. You may spend the money as you choose at the Book Fair. If you spend 60 minutes online, your name will be entered twice. This doubles your chances of earning a gift card.
All students (PK-5) who spend 60 minutes or more online learning will be entered into a drawing for a $25 AMAZON GIFT CARD. Remember…the minutes can be earned across all the different learning sites. So time spent learning – even if it is on more than one online site, adds up!
Links to our online learning sites are below.
MOBYMAX Grades PK-5 (school code mi1457)
- PK and K: Work on NUMBERS or EARLY READING Trio; Grades 1-5: Fact Fluency, Math, Reading TRIO, Science, Social Studies
STUDY ISLAND Grades 3-5
HAPPY SNOW DAY!
If you are looking for some school related activities today, check the list below for some options!
All students who spend at least 30 minutes working online will be entered into a drawing for a $10.00 BARNES and NOBLE GIFT CARD – one per grade.
Read their historical book club book.
In addition, to the Barnes and Noble drawing….I will give smile bucks to those who do one of the above online programs for 30 minutes today! 🙂
Hello Georgetown Families,
My name is Aiden Henderson. I am in fifth grade in Mrs. Walenta’s class. I have a passion for a non-profit organization called Remember Niger.
I first heard of Remember Niger through our church’s sponsorship. Remember Niger’s primary goal is to provide quality education to the Nigerian children in Niger, Africa. With an education, they can provide for their country and make their country stronger economically. Schooling is very important to us kids here in the states, and it is very important to them too. I was wondering if you would be interesting in supporting these kids in Niger and put a smile on their face.
This program is currently in need of money to purchase Mosquito nets, school supplies, desks, sponsorships of students, etc. If you would like to support this organization, visit their website: REMEMBER NIGER Next, click on one of these links: ALTERNATIVE GIVING CATALOG or GENERAL DONATION.
If you have any questions, email my mom, Mary Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, Aiden Henderson.
During our week before vacation, Georgetown will be showing our holiday spirit! Each day we will have a theme to show off our festive side.
- Monday– Christmas HAT and/or HAIR DAY
- Tuesday– Christmas SOCK and/or SHIRT DAY
- Wednesday– Christmas CHOICE DAY – Pick your favorite holiday bling or accessory to wear today!
- Thursday– RED/GREEN DAY
- Friday– PAJAMA or UGLY SWEATER DAY (Your Choice)
Our Holiday Shop opens today. This is a top secret opportunity for our students to shop for family members! The shopping times for each class are listed below. This shop is sponsored by our Parent Club. If you send a check, make the check payable to GEORGETOWN PARENT CLUB.
Mrs. Reagan and the Parent Club
|Wed 12/9||Thurs 12/10||Fri 12/11|