Studies have shown that students can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “KEEP ON LEARNING” this summer to prevent summer slide. There are two ways to record your learning time:
- Reading: Log into this form to record the number of minutes you read. You can record each day or enter the total for each week.
- MOBYMAX Math and Reading: We recommend that each child consistently use MobyMax each week in the core areas of reading and mathematics. If interested, you can also choose to work on other learning modules. Spending just a few minutes each day on Mobymax will help to reduce “summer slide” and keep your child’s learning skills fresh over the summer.
Our goals for students over the summer are below. Students who reach or exceed goals will be entered in a drawing for an Amazon Gift Card (1 per grade). This is for their grade next year.
- First Grade: 100 minutes
- Second Grade: 200 minutes
- Third Grade: 300 minutes
- Fourth Grade: 400 minutes
- Fifth Grade: 400 minutes
- First Grade: 100 pts
- Second Grade: 200 pts
- Third Grade: 300 pts
- Fourth Grade: 400 pts
- Fifth Grade: 500 pts
If you’d like to be part of Georgetown’s challenge to “Keep On Learning” please follow the instructions below. If your child is new to the school and you would like login information, email Mrs. Reagan. firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great summer…and keep on learning with READING and MOBYMAX!
- Go to http://www.mobymax.com/ mi1457 and enter your child’s username and password to access his or her account. Username: _________ Password: ___________
- Explore placement tests, lessons and much more! Mobymax will automatically increase skill level based on your student’s performance.
This would be a wonderful way for the students to stay up on skills over the summer. Below are the instructions to access Moby Max.
Mobymax is an online learning tool that Georgetown utilizes to support math facts, math skills, reading, and much more. Mobymax can be used on a laptop, desktop, tablet/iPad or smartphone.
LOGIN Instructions for LAPTOP or home computer:
Open a browser (safari, firefox or google chrome. Type one of the following into the browser address bar:
- Go to http://www.mobymax.com/mi1457
- Go to mobymax.com and enter mi1457 in for the school code.
- Go to mobymax.com and select Georgetown Elementary — scroll to Hudsonville, MI.
- Go to the blog and click on the MOBYMAX whale.
LOGIN INSTRUCTIONS for tablets/smartphones:
- Open safari
- Type http://www.MobyMax.com/signin in the URL address bar.
- Select student. Type mi1457 into the school code box.
- Click the “Action Icon.” This is the box with the arrow icon pointing up at the bottom of the window.
- Click “Add to Home Screen.” This is a grey square icon with plus sign.
- Enter the name “MobyMax” and click “Add.”
- A MobyMax icon will now appear on your home screen.
Once you are onto the MOBYMAX site, there are three view options that pop up.
- Star: Incentives, goals that MOBYMAX is offering.
- Books: Learning Area (Number Sense, Fact Fluency, Reading Trio, etc.)
- Arrow: Progress icon (purple), Messages from the teacher, Vibes – good messages from the teacher, etc.
FACT FLUENCY: First time on, each child takes a placement test. Addition is the first fact to be tested and mastered, followed by subtraction, followed by multiplication and then division. Each child should spend 5 minutes a day on MATH FACT practice.
- Each fact appears for six seconds.
- If the right answer is entered, a new problem appears.
- If the wrong answer is entered, time is allowed for a correction.
- The five-minute fact test is broken into 5 one minute sprints.
- At the end of each sprint, a progress update is provided.
- Overall progress can be checked via the PROGRESS ICON.
Green = mastered. Yellow = Tricky Fact.
Reading Lessons: MOBYMAX also has reading modules that work together to reinforce reading skills. Your child’s teacher will tell you which area should be the focus for your child.
Content Lessons: MOBYMAX also has other learning modules for your child to keep active as a learner over the summer.
Studies have shown that learners can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “Keep On Learning With Mobymax” this summer as a way to prevent summer slide. Georgetown teachers selected MobyMax as the online curriculum for summer vacation and extra curricular in school learning.
To learn more, visit our school blog. Also…all those who earn their MOBYMAX points will be entered into a drawing for an ipad mini!
Dear Georgetown Parents,
Today we practiced how to log in to Moby Max, a wonderful computer site for the kids to use during the school year and summer months. I sent home a note today with sign in and password instructions!
In addition to access at school, all students have access to MobyMax at home. We are hopeful that this site will be a useful way for our students to practice skills during the school year, through the summer months.
Features of MobyMax are as follows:
- Tailored to your child’s individual needs.
- Placement tests that identify strengths and needs.
- Targeted instruction to “fill in” missing skills.
- Systematic review sessions to keep skills fresh.
NOTE: If your child is taking a placement test for a skill area, remind your child that the questions get harder and harder. If the questions are hard, it might not have been taught yet, meaning it could be coming later in the year or in it isn’t taught until the next grade level.
Mrs. Reagan and the Georgetown Teachers
Login steps for your child:
Go to http://www.mobymax.com/mi1457 and select student and have your child enter login/password.
You go to georgetown.edublogs.org and click on the mobymax whale image (top left sidebar). Once on the site, select student and have your child enter login/password.
If your child cannot remember their login information, email the teacher or Mrs. Reagan (email@example.com)