- Spirit Week – September 21-25
- PJ Day (no pillows, blankets, or stuffed animals)
- Silly Sock Day
- Crazy Hair Day
- Hat Day
- Maize & Blue Day
We are holding our annual WALKATHON next week which is our primary fundraiser for the year. One of our objectives in the Parent Club is to raise money to help cover costs such as classroom supplies, technology upgrades, storage solutions, books, field trips, parent/child events and other needed items for each class.
We want to promote a healthy lifestyle to our students and the community. Please help us reach our fundraising goal by supporting our Walkathon. We have teamed up with Get Movin’© to make this event fun and profitable with online mobile friendly technology!
We Need All Parents to Complete 3 Easy Steps!
- Register your Child by visiting http://www.getmovinfundhub.com It’s free, easy, and fast to register! For School Identifier use 5f3d669d605c9
- Consider sending an Email and/ or Text of your child’s student fundraising webpage with 10-15 friends and family. It’s super easy!
- Consider Posting on Facebook or Twitter It’s two clicks of a button to post. You’ll be surprised when donations come in from distant relatives/friends from HS/co-workers. Post and see what happens!
o We need 100% student registration please visit http://www.getmovinfundhub.com today!
o Each student is encouraged to raise at least $30.
o Be an Overachiever Superstar by raising at least $150.
Parents, welcome to our first weekly update.
We are off to an awesome start in fifth grade! In a week filled with new routines and hot days, your kids have demonstrated flexibility and positivity. They’re doing a great job following the health and safety protocols implemented by the district. Please give them an extra hug or high five and tell them that you’re proud of them.
- Early release – Thursday, September 3
- No school Friday, September 4 or Monday, September 7.
- Multiplication and division review
- Introduce fraction concepts
- We are establishing routines for reader’s and writer’s workshop
- Next week we will begin our first set of practice safety drills for the year.
- The district has adopted a K-12 behavior matrix that is familiar to Georgetown. The district model, SOAR, blends beautifully with our school mission of BE NICE, WORK HARD, LEARN WELL. We want our kids to SOAR wherever they are at Georgetown — and many of our existing expectations have meshed well with BE SAFE, OWN IT, ACT RESPONSIBLY and BE RESPECTFUL. This week our SOAR focus was the BUS. In coming weeks we’ll focus on the playground, lunchroom, and hallway behaviors.
Birthdays are wonderful opportunities to celebrate each child in our classroom. If a child has a summer birthday, we’ll celebrate on his or her half birthday. Some families also like to celebrate birthdays by sending in a treat for the class, while others opt not to send anything. In the interest of health and safety of all students, fifth grade teachers are asking that families do not send in food or toys as birthday treats. We will have a classroom ice cream party near the end of the school year to celebrate all of our birthdays! 🙂
Instead of bringing in a classroom treat to share, please consider sending something for the class to enjoy such as:
- A game for the classroom
- A classroom book (A nice touch would be to your child pick it out, sign it, and date it.)
The items listed above will still make your child feel special and they will last a lot longer than a food item.
You can find a wish list including books and other items for our classroom following this link to Amazon or you can find a link to our wishlist on our classroom blog.
- Georgetown’s spring conferences will be held Monday, March 11 and Wednesday, March 13. A conference confirmation slip will be coming home today Friday, February 22, 2019. Please email your teacher ASAP if it will not be possible to meet at this assigned time.
5th Grade Camp:
- All parents who submitted an interest form for chaperoning at camp will be notified whether they’ve been selected by March 1.
Middle School Visit:
- The 5th graders will visit Baldwin Street Middle School on Monday, March 4th. Watch the blog for further details.
- The end of fifth grade is full of exciting events. For your convenience, we’ve created a list of important dates. We’ve linked it to each of our blogs; you can view it here.
- We are continuing Unit 5: focusing on division of whole numbers and decimals.
- We will begin a research unit in both reading and writing pertaining to the Revolutionary War.
We will begin our social studies unit: The Road to the Revolution.
5th Grade Camp:
- Information regarding opportunities for parents to volunteer as camp chaperones were sent home on Wed. of this week. If you are interested please return the form to school by Feb. 19th.
- Dates for camp this year are May 16-17.
Symphony Field Trip:
- On February 19, fifth graders will have the opportunity to travel to Holland to see a special performance by the Grand Rapids Symphony. We will leave school around 10:15 and return around 1:00.
Jet’s Pizza Night: Thursday, February 21
Hello, friends! 🙂
I am hoping to see all of you tomorrow! Here are a few reminders I wanted to give you:
- Any remaining 5th grade Activity Fees are due tomorrow. Please send in a check made out to Georgetown Elementary.
- Friday, Feb. 1 is an early release.
- Midwinter break is Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 4-5. Two more days of no school! Won’t it be nice to get back into our regular routine on Wednesday, Feb. 6?
- Check your email for a new game code for quizzez to review for our social studies test for unit 3.
- Please take a few minutes to check for any yellow safety belts that may be hiding out around your house. We are missing several! If you find one, please put it in your backpack to be sure that it is returned to school.